Success with Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign is an advanced orthodontic treatment that is designed to fit your busy lifestyle. With this treatment, you’ll know what you’re getting from the very beginning. Dr. Maya Assi can show you a digital image of what your smile will look like before your treatment even starts.
When you select Invisalign, you’re choosing a nearly invisible solution to malocclusion (misaligned teeth). This feature is beneficial because your loved ones won’t even notice your aligners until your smile is perfect.
Additional benefits of Invisalign include:
- Natural care regimen of brushing and flossing
- No cuts or scrapes from brackets or wires
- No more emergency visits because of broken brackets or wires
- Continue eating your favorite foods
- You can continue playing sports or enjoying other active hobbies
Using Your Aligners Properly
Since Invisalign is removable, you won’t have to give up your favorite foods, drinks, or activities while you’re correcting your smile. Likewise, you can wear them to dinner with friends or to a crucial interview.
From the moment your first set of aligners arrives, Dr. Assi will:
- Answer any questions you have
- Make sure your aligners fit well
- Outline each step in the process going forward
- Monitor the progress of your treatment
With Invisalign, we can straighten your smile twice as fast as we could with traditional braces. However, a slight deviation from your treatment plan can dramatically alter the results. Dr. Maya Assi recommends wearing your aligners for 20 to 22 hours a day — only removing them to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
If you’re worried that your teen won’t wear them for the appropriate amount of time, we have a simple fix. Invisalign aligners include a blue dot compliance indicator that you can use to determine whether they’re wearing them as directed.
How to Care for Clear Aligners
To care for your clear aligners:
- Trade your old aligners in every two weeks for your new set. This allows your smile to continue shifting into the correct position.
- Rinse your aligners every time you take them out of your mouth. This helps your aligners to remain clean and clear of bacteria and food particles.
- Soak your aligners in Invisalign cleaning crystals. This can keep your aligners clean and clear.
- Clean your teeth regularly. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing daily can reduce your risk of cavities and help stop the spread of bacteria onto your aligners.
- Brush your aligners when you take them out. This may not always be possible, but try to do it every time. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to prevent scratches.
- Remove your aligners to eat or drink anything other than water. Foods and drinks can stain your aligners and cause harm to them.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you clean and maintain your Invisalign trays?
Invisalign care is easy and only takes a few minutes a day. Every morning, take your aligners out and clean them of any bacteria that may have gathered overnight. Any time you remove your aligners, rinsing them off can help to keep them clean.
Before you put your aligners back in, especially after eating, make sure to thoroughly brush and floss your teeth. It’s important to avoid eating and drinking when you have your aligners in because they can become stained and damaged.
What can’t I drink and eat while wearing Invisalign?
You can eat and drink anything during the course of your Invisalign treatment. You’ll have to remove your aligners every time you eat because they can become damaged or stained, but there are no dietary restrictions with Invisalign treatment.
Because you’ll have to remove your aligners and clean your teeth every time you eat, we recommend coming up with a meal plan to ensure you eat enough throughout the day.
Since Invisalign limits how often you can eat, a phenomenon known as “The Invisalign Diet” can occur. Cutting out the ability to snack throughout the day may lead to some weight loss.
How often should you clean your aligner trays?
Your aligners should be cleaned at least twice a day. These cleanings are best done at the same time you brush your teeth to prevent the spread of bacteria. To brush your aligners, use a soft-bristled toothbrush to prevent scratching, but don’t use toothpaste because it can harm the aligners.
We also recommend rinsing your aligners with water every time you take them out. This cleans them off bacteria and any saliva on them, so your teeth are less likely to be negatively affected.
Can I use Listerine while wearing Invisalign?
No, it’s best not to use Listerine or any mouthwash while wearing Invisalign. We also recommend against soaking your aligners in mouthwash. While you may use mouthwash on your teeth, there are negative effects to using mouthwash on your aligners.
Many types of mouthwash contain dyes and scents that can be soaked into your aligners. This can permanently discolor them. If your mouthwash also contains alcohol, your aligners may become damaged.
If you’d like to soak your aligners in a way that won’t harm them, you can get specialized aligners cleaning crystals. These crystals won’t damage your aligners and make sure they’re squeaky clean.
Start Your Perfectly Straight Smile Today
No matter how crooked or misaligned your teeth are, Dr. Maya Assi is an Invisalign Preferred Provider, so she ensures a quick, painless journey to a remarkable smile. If you’re interested or have further questions about Invisalign, contact Alpha Dental Practice at 954-603-3508. Alternatively, you can fill out the submission form, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.